Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

I have a Browning Lever Action 308, when I shoot it these…

Customer Question
I have a Browning...

I have a Browning Lever Action 308, when I shoot it these days it is hard to extract the shell using the lever, it is as if the case has swollen in the chamber. Just don't see what the problem is. Can you help or give me some advice?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

I am just shooting store bought 150 grain bullets, nothing over loaded

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Firearms
12/30/2017
Firearms Expert: Jon, Consultant replied 1 month ago
Jon
Jon, Consultant

Hi, my name is Jon. I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Thank you,

Jon

Let me ask you a few questions to see what we can figure out.

1. What brand of ammo are you using?

2. Have you used this ammo in this rifle before?

3. How long have you had this rifle?

4. what does the spent shell casing look like after it is fired?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Jon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Winchester Ammo, 150 grn is mostly what I have used, but once it started happening about a year ago I did try Remington 150 grn, no change.
I do not see anything wrong with the cases what so ever.
I bought this rifle in 1970 right after coming back from Vietnam, it served me well hunting dear for many of years.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I already paid money for the internet chat, not another $34.00 for a call,,,,I don't think so, been f**ked and I am done.

I an just the gunsmith here answering questions. I do not have anything to do with the billing. Here is the phone number for customer service. 1(###) ###-####They should be able to refund anything you were charged for.

It sounds like the ammo is not the issue. It is possible it is incorrect head-spacing, however I believe that is not likely. It sounds to me like you have an issue this is probably one of two likely causes.

1. A rough spot or burr on the chamber. This could be causing unwanted friction during extraction. To cure this issue I would suggest taking your rifle to a qualified gunsmith and have them lightly polish the chamber. This will eliminate the friction.

2. Dirty chamber, extractor or carrier causing unwanted friction in the chamber or mechanism. A complete disassembly and cleaning of the rifle should cure this problem. I would use a good quality CLP like BreakFree.

I would defiantly try the second first to see if it cured the issue before having the chamber polished. I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jon only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jon

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your reply. I have cleaned the chamber and taken a good look at it. I did all of that before contacting you.
I fully realize your not looking at the Rifle, can't hold it up to the phone or computer for inspection but, I will continue to look for the problem.
Thank you
Ronnie N. Imel

It is possible this could be a headspace issue. Defiantly have a gunsmith check your headspace.

Sincerely,

Jon

Jon
Jon
Jon, Consultant