Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I’m missing a piece on an old single barrel shotgun on the…

Customer Question
I’m missing a piece on...

I’m missing a piece on an old long single barrel shotgun on the reciever. Can you help, if so please txt **************

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Firearms
12/13/2017
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 8 months ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

I need to know the make and model of your shotgun and what part you need.

Tom

I have worked on similar guns, but it has been quite a while. If my memory is correct I had to make the part which is a joint pin lever.

This gun may be an import from the early 1900's. Companies like Crescent Arms would put any name you wanted on the gun for the cost of the stamp. Look on the bottom of the barrel for "ELG" in an oval. It will tell me if it was imported or made in the U.S.

Look at the following link, the hammer, is the same as your gun, also has the same firing pin stop. The part you need is not listed on the first link and out of stock on the second.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/crescent/sb-coil-mainspg-mdl

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/crescent/sb-peerless

I will look around and see what I can find.

Tom

It may also be called a joint pin cover or latch, it depends on the manufacturer.

Tom

I think I found part of an E but doesn’t seem like there was any other letters. I also found a 16.

Rub some chalk into the area where the E is and then lightly wipe the surface. It will highlight and other letters

I have the joint pin itself, just not the flap that comes over into the circular hole. Do you know how much it may cost to have that piece fabricated?

It would probably be more than the gun is worth. If I remember correctly the joint pin is slotted and the end of the latch is pinned to the joint pin and may be spring loaded to prevent it from opening when shooting.

I would guess around $125 to $150. My mill needs repair so I can not make it at this time. Check with a local machine shop or if there is a tech school for high school students they may do it much cheaper or even free of charge.

Tom