Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

Can you tell me what kind of gun is a tkr52439. My daughter…

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me what kind of gun is a tkr52439

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

My daughter said she found it in her house this morning , thinks its her boyfriend and ask me what kind it was I told her im not and expert on guns but if she believes it to be stolen call the cops. she said the serial is tkr52439

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

Huh I don't know anything just wanted to know what kind of gun it is . I told her to call the cops if he don't have a permit to carry a conceal weapon. What else should I do?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Firearms
12/11/2017
Firearms Expert: ProShooter, Firearms Instructor replied 2 months ago
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

OK, so it sounds like you have the serial number. Can you tell me what else it says on the gun?

I don't have the gun my daughter called and said she found it in her house thinking her boyfriend stashed it there. I asked for the serial number to try and google it to see what kind of gun it is and advised her to take it to the police station to see if is stolen.
you know what for get I spent five dollars for nothing thanks

Well I'm happy to help but the serial number is ***** enough info....

Only the police will be able to tell you if it is stolen though...

What else can I help you with?

Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 2 months ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

A gun from each manufacturer can have the same serial numbers which makes it impossible to tell anything about it without more information.

Tracking a gun or its owner is not like you see on TV. There are states with no registration. The only record of the sale is in the dealers log book and it can take weeks to find out who owns it after the make and model is identified. The request to track a gun must go through law enforcement who will contact BATFE. They will contact the manufacturer to see which distributor it was shipped to. The distributor will identify the dealer and then the dealer will go through his log book until the owner is found. Records only need to be kept for 15 years, something sold 20 years ago can not be traced in some cases.

A carry permit is not required to own a handgun. There are states that permit open carry with no permit and a couple that permit concealed carry without a permit. For purchase in most states you simply fill out forms for the back ground check, it is called in, you pay for it and take it home.

There are some states that require a permit to own a handgun NJ, NY MD and CA are some of them and these will have a record of every sale.

A stated by Jim, more information is needed before anything can be done.

I hope this gives you a better understanding about tracing and owning a handgun. The NRA-ILA.org web site lists the laws from every state.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/

Tom

TOM
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith