Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I have a s&w 38 single shot top break 6 in barrel nickel…

I have a s&w 38...
I have a s&w 38 single shot top break 6 in barrel nickel tournament (i am told) pistolbarrel has smith & wesson springfield mass model of 1891pat.d apr.20.75.feb 20 .dec .18.77 .may 11.80I am not A gun collector, just like to acquire old odd things `curious does it have any value /.I would say condition is very good to excellent
11/16/2017
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Do you have a photo of this gun that I could see?

I have no way to send photos ,use info I sent as best you can ask more questions if you need tojack

Thank you for your reply, Jack.....what is the serial number? It should be located on the front grip strap.

Serial # on butt of hand grip u must remove hand grips (hard rubber) to see #
# also on barrel under rear sight #''s match
tnx jack

Are you sure its a Model of 1891?

Hi Jim
Sorry , I though it said mod of 1891 on barrel but it is stamped - MODEL OF 91tnx
jacktop of barrell x SMITH & WESSON MODEL OF 91 pat,d apr.40.75
20 dec.18.77 may 11 11.80 x
SPRINGFIELD MASS USA

Ok,thank you. I'm researching it now.

Jack, what is the serial number?

None of these numbers are on this gunSerial number is 13919 located on barrel under rear sight and on butt of gun under hand grips
Are you saying that your gun does not match any of the ones in the photo?
I am Sorry Jim
You are dealing with a dummy on this matter
I thought those numbers were serial numbers
My gun is #2 on your picture, it is nickel with brown grips
JIM
it has a 6 inch barrel
jack

#2...ok great....let me compile your info for you.

Ok, so the gun that you have identified is the Smith& Wesson, Model of '91 (1891), Second Model Single Shot. You may want to have the barrel checked as it may actually be a .22 rather than a .38.

The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson firearms lists the following values for your gun:

New in box - $2,500

Excellent+ - $2,200

Excellent- $1,250

Fine - $850

VG - $600

Good - $400

Fair - $350

Poor - $200

.

If you are interested in selling your gun, I highly suggest using an antique firearm auction house, such as Rock Island Auctions - https://www.rockislandauction.com

I hope that this has been helpful! If you have no other questions for me about this firearm, please remember to complete a positive rating for my efforts today. That can be completed with the stars on your Just Answer screen. It should be on your screen now, near the top with stars.....I believe it should say something about rating the expert.

Thanks!
Jim

Any other questions?

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Thanks for the info JimIt is a 38 we fired itjack
No more questions THANKS for your help , left a review
Jack