Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

Gunsmith. I am interested in black powder & single action…

Hi there TOM, gunsmith ...

Hi there TOM, gunsmith

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

I am interested in black powder & single action shooting.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

I see that NRA run such courses in America. i was wondering if there was anything like that in Australia.

10/17/2017
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm a firearms expert here at Just Answer. I don't believe that Tom has been online in quite a while. Would you like for me to help you, or did you want to continue to wait for him?

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
hi Jim,
I have been shooting black powder for several years. Recently I tried Single Action which was a lot of fun. I was wondering if there was an entry level gunsmith course here in Australia like those offered in the USA for "Cowboy Shooting"?
I have not operated machine tool for several years, so i guess i would have to brush up on a lot of it again.
Yours
Peter Fergusson
Phone call session started
When I recently visited the USA, I called in on Taylor, Sons & Co. I admired their dual cylinders, for both cartridge & cap & ball.
Peter Fergusson

Well, I do not believe that any kind of gunsmithing course exists in Australia. Most gunsmiths there seem to get their start in mechanical fitting and fabrication.

For starters, I would suggest contacting the NRA Australia. They can give you more info about what is available in your country. - https://www.nraa.com.au

What do you think?

I joined the NRA & bought many books in Virginia. I did not know the NRA had offices in Australia.
Peter Fergusson

Yes they do. That website should be able to assist you. I'm actually in Virginia myself.

I have been shooting .38/357 caliber. The black powder pistol I have is a 0.45. The cost of changing the caliber or barrel & cylinder is so high. I like the pistol though. I think it has good lines for an single action.
Peter

Single Action revolvers are classics for sure!

I could have spent much more time in their museum. i also visited The Cody Museum & the Civil war Museum too.
Peter

Did you make it to Richmond?

I had booked a tour of Niagara form the Canadian side. I wanted to see the Old Rhinbeck Aero Museum before i went up north. It was worth the trip, even though it was not operative on that day.
Peter

Excellent.....well, is there anything else that I can help with?

Well, if there are no such firearms courses here in Australia then i guess that is all. But do you know of anyone who could suggest a way of converting the old Rogers & Spencer. t is only a "You Beauty" Italian replica shooter, but it is a lot of fun. Having the same caliber for the guns would be better.
Peter

I don't know of anyone specifically, but on that NRA Australia websites, there a number of clubs listed and the clubs may have local info on someone who could assist you with that.

Most I have tried said it would cost heaps.
Peter

Yes, to convert it may be too expensive

I have been casting my own lead, "running lead." what size & type of projectiles do you suggest for pistol (I am using148 gn Wad Cutter) & rifle ( I have 158gn Round Nose). I have used double ball moulds for the R & S.
What powder load do you suggest?
Peter
I thought i could buy anything in the States, but they only had one double 158gn SWC which i bought any way. i though it might be a bit heavy.
Peter

I actually like the 158 grain.....here's a website though with some great info -http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=38%20Special&Weight=All&type=Handgun

Thanks. I have downloaded it onto my copy of American gunsmith courses. I will look it up. I have to go to buy some WC to complete my required CF shots for the year. i will mention you to the gun shop run by one of our club members.
peter

Great! Well, if you don't need anything else, please remember to complete a positive rating at the top of your screen with the stars. That will close out the question.

I am completing a trolly/cart to transport the single action/rifle gear from the car to the range. it is just a "bra" sort of a thing I made as a hobby. i made a box for the rubber loading blocks to take the Quick Loader for the S&W revolver.
Peter
OK then thanks for the web site & your answers.
Peter

Sounds like a great project!

You are quite welcome!

Jim

Peter, when you get a moment, please remember to complete a positive rating for this question at the top of your screen with the stars. That will then close the question out.

Thanks!
Jim

ProShooter
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor