Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

After only 1 shot in new Ruger 10 22 rifle, spent cartridge

stuck in barrel. 1)How do...
After only 1 shot in new Ruger 10 22 rifle, spent cartridge stuck in barrel. 1)How do I get it out without damaging my new rifle. 2) Why did it happen. Thank You!
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/10/2017
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Is it the bullet that is stuck in the barrel, or the cartridge case?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure, I attached the picture. Its the shell that is stuck in the gun, sorry if my terminology is off. I can attach more pictures if need be
What caliber did you use?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
22lr
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cci

Hi again.....sorry, my computer froze. Are you still with me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
eagerly waiting for your suggestions and advise

OK, sorry about that. These computers don't always want to play nice. Anyway, I can see in your photo that the case is jammed in the chamber. Do you know if the bullet actually left the barrel and hit the target?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think so, but my target is a big corkboard. I can see that the rim on the end of the casing has a little crimp in it, guess thats how it fires?

Yes, the .22 caliber cartridge is a rimfire cartridge. The firing pin makes a crimping action on the cartridge and that squeezes the priming compound, causing ignition which fires the bullet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ahh...good info. I didnt know that.

So, I'll assume that the bullet has correctly left the barrel. You should be able to safely pull the case out of the chamber. Do you have needlenose pliers or perhaps a set of tweezers?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not much area to grab with either of those two, although I can try. I already tried with a pocket screwdriver, seems to be in there good. Afraid to damage any components of the rifle. Perhaps I should bring it back to dicks sporting goods before I do any damage, and ask for a new rifle? I dont think that should have happend. Could I have loaded it wrong? Everything seemed to click into place.

Well there could be a number of things that could cause it. Did you give the gun a thorough cleaning and lubrication before firing it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
God no, its new!
it is new but in your owner's manual it should say that prior to firing the gun you need to clean and lubricate all of the moving parts. The manufacturer lubricates the gun when they ship it but keeping in mind how long it may sit in a gun store before someone buys it, the lubricating oil dries out usually in about 30 days. That's why you need to lubricate it before firing it for the first time.
The action may be dry and that's what caused the extractor to not pull the fired case from the chamber.
The fired casing should come out easily if you give it just a little tug. If that's not working you can insert a wooden dowel down the length of the barrel and tap from the barrel end and that should push the casing out from the inside.
If you are unsure about doing this, a local gunsmith can take care of this for you in about 10 seconds.

Its a very common issue, believe it or not. I've been a firearms instructor for years and I have seen so many jammed new guns that jammed because they were not lubricated.

What's happening now? Are you trying to remove it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess I should have checked the owners manual. I think its calling this issue a "chambered cartridge" it says: These failures usually are the result of the bolt not being pulled rearward vigorously, coupled with the accumulation of bullet lubricant in the chamber. Cant be excessive bullet lubricant, but I guess I might not have pulled the bolt rearward vigorously. Do you think that could have been the cause of this problem?

Possibly so, there are a few factors that could cause a casing to not extract properly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I just want to know so it doesnt happen again. So in the off chance that there is still a live bullet in the gun, could tapping it with a dowel cause it to fire?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean I heard it fire, so I guess thats not the issue. Let me see what I can do, I have a fiberglass rod somewhere.

Well, the primer has a pretty severe crimp mark, so I would believe that the cartridge fired normally, especially if you heard it fire.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea, think your right
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Its the low velocity quiet ammo, but Im still sure it fired

Prying it out with a pliers should be the easiest. Its just a piece of copper at this point -no danger.

Okay so where are we at now?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The smallest needlenose I have was still too big to grab it, their was just not enough edge on the casing to grab onto. I found an old section of brakeline in the garage, cut the flair off it, and it fit down the barrel perfectly. Tapped a few times and it came right out. Now, to make sure this doesnt happen again. What kind of oil do I use, and where exactly to apply. I have lots of 10w40 hanging around the garage.
Well first you'll want to read the owner's manual from cover to cover and make sure that you understand everything in it. The manual will tell you where to apply lubricating oil. You do not want to use vehicle motor oil; you want to use a gun oil like REM oil or Hoppe's lubricating oil which would both be available at Dicks or your local gun store.
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks, ***** ***** good advise.
ProShooter
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor