Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

Need to know a little about the procedure for buying a

handgun online. Found one that...
Need to know a little about the procedure for buying a handgun online. Found one that I want on gunbroker.com, and it says "FFL is required". Now I am in Jersey and I have a permit to purchase a handgun, that is due to expire soon. Can I purchase this gun? If not, what steps do I have to take to do this.
10/9/2017
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Its pretty simple actually. When you find a gun you want to buy, you'll communicate with the buyer. The buyer will deliver the gun to a their local gun store with an FFL license. The gun store with then ship the gun to a local gun store (FFL) where you live. Your local gun store will require some paperwork to be done, and a background check with some fees involved, but when everything clears, they'll release the gun to you.

Make sense?

Thanks for your quick response. Yes it makes sense, in the event that it doesnt clear, will I be out $700? I bought a rifle about 2 weeks ago, and everything cleared just fine, but you never know with the govt what the outcome may be. Do I contact my local gun shop and give them a heads up? How is it normally done.
Also, I know the gun shop on my end will want a cut, I think it is $25. Does the gun shop on the sellers side also take a fee that will be passed onto me? I noticed they dont take paypal for the purchase of the gun, they want a check or money order. Dont know why this is, but I dont feel like I get much buyer protection with this payment method. Is this the way its normally done? I am looking at gunbroker.com, can you recommend another site?
Sorry about all the questions, just want to know some of the ins and outs of the situation.

There is usually some procedure outlined on the website like gunbroker.com as far as transactions not going according to plans. You'll have to discuss refund options with the seller & website. Gun Broker is a good site,but I also like armslist, gunauction.com, and gunsamerica.com.

If I'm having a gun transferred in to a local store, I usually give them a heads up. Some gun stores may not accept transfers.

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Great, thanks.
ProShooter
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor