Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 rifle and have come to

Hello, I just purchased a...
Hello, I just purchased a Ruger 10/22 rifle and have come to realize that the iron sight is not sufficient for my aging eyes. What is happening is without my reading glasses I can see the target clearly but the iron sight is blurry, and once I put my reading glasses on the iron sights are sharp and my target becomes blurry. I guess I could try bifocals, but I would like to know if a Red Dot scope or some other type of scope would help the situation here, or perhaps there is another alternative, any advice you could give would be welcome. I want to do small game hunting.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

There is the option of a red-dot sight. That keeps you from having to align a near sight with a far sight and then align all that with the target.

A laser would allow you to look only at the target, as the dot would be painted right on the target itself. However, for hunting, the red dot is probably preferable. You would also have to check your local gun and hunting laws about the laser.

Depending on the red dot, sometime the red dot and the iron sights can be "co-witnessed," where the red dot is aligned with the front and rear iron sights. It such a case, as you look through the red dot sight, you can see the dot superimposed on your iron sights when the iron sights are properly aligned with each other.

If you want iron sights only, then your eye doctor should be able to give you a prescription so that your dominant eye (usually the same side as your strong arm) is focused more closely and your non-dominant eye is focused for long distance. I had that done with my bifocal contact lenses and now I can see my iron sights clearly with my dominant eye and can see the target clearly with my non-dominant eye.

I would suggest contacting your eye doctor to see if you can bring in your unloaded 10/22 for him to use to test various prescriptions on you.

I hope this helps.

Philip

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thats all good info, thanks. Im interested in the red dot sight. Could you possibly give me a link to a budget friendly model that would be compatible with the ruger 10 22 Carbine?

You might try the Bushnell Trophy-25:

Link to sight

It does have a 3 MOA dot, so the dot will have a 3-inch diameter at 100 yards (or 1.5 inch at 50 yards, etc). It also might have a little parallax. If that is too big for the type of hunting you wish to do or you want less parallax, you might try the slightly more expensive Holosun Paralow:

Link to Holosun

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks you've been most helpful. I think I can make a good decision now.
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor