Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I have another rifle am curious about potential value. I am…

Hello I have another rifle...
Hello I have another rifle am curious about potential value. I am told this was used by a relative in the Spanish American war.
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage6.jpg
8/13/2017
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

What markings do you see on that gun (patent dates, words, numbers, etc.)?

Philip

Absolutely nothing. The only markings of any kind are the little "floral" things near the "hammer" (or whatever that is called)

That looks to be a sporting rifle or a "plains rifle." Especially with that set trigger, minimal projecting spurs, and half-stock. They were made in the early 1800s through 1870. While that rifle certainly wouldn't have been issued by the U.S. military for the Spanish American war, which started in 1898, it might have been possible for someone to bring it as a private weapon.

Plains rifles were originally designed for use in the western frontier. They caught on like wildfire and were handmade by wide variety of gunsmiths. The lack of markings on that gun makes determining its background and maker extremely difficult. Without it being made by a well-known maker, such as Hawken, the value is most likely going to be around $1,000-$3,000 or so if in working order.

You could take it to a local auction house that specializes in antique firearms to see if they can find something to hint at that gun's provenance.

I hope this helps.

Philip

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor