Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

I have a marlin 336-a-dl lever action 30-30 cal. It says

Customer Question

Hi, I have a marlin 336-a-dl lever action 30-30 cal. It says est. 1870 on it don't see a serial # like to know the value.
JA: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.
Customer: Marlin 336-a-dl lever action 1870 no serial #found , what's the value
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?
Customer: No
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** am reviewing your question and will provide an answer or a request for more information shortly.

Does that gun have a Monte Carlo stock - affect value if so?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Smooth stockdon't know what a Monte Carlo stock look's like

Here's a link to a photo of a Monte carlo Carlo. Just look at the area behind the grip and see if that is like the photo (Monte Carlo stocks have a raised area where you cheek touches the stock):

Photo of stock

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just want value of gun's

OK- I'll assume you don't have the Monte Carlo stock and will do the appraisal accordingly. I will put a note so that you know how to adjust the price if you end up having that stock.

Back in about 5 minutes.

August 10, 2017

Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Manufacturer/Trademark – Marlin

Model/configuration – Model 336 ADL lever-action rifle, .30-30 Win. cal., with 24 inch bbl., and blue finish.

Additional Information – round breech bolt, 24 in. barrel with 2/3 mag., deluxe checkered walnut stock and forearm, quick detachable swivels and 1 in. sling. Mfg. 1948-62.

Value Range (based on percentage of original finish on the gun and in working order):

100% - $695
98% - $575
95% - $550
90% - $450
80% - $375
70% - $325
60% - $275

NOTE: Add 20% for 2nd Model (1957-1962).

The 336ADL 1st Model (mfg. 1948-56) did not have a raised comb or cheekpiece. The 2nd Model (mfg. 1957-62) is identifiable by a Monte Carlo buttstock with raised comb and cheekpiece. Wood was supplied by Bishop.

I trust that this information will be of interest. If you have further questions, or require assistance in the future, please feel free to contact me via pearl.com’s question service.

For other firearms related information, please visit www.bluebookofgunvalues.com

Sincerely,

Philip

This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.

The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.

The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.

All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2017 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1870 is a model # or what does t stand for

That is probably the serial number. Let me see if that would be a valid one. Back shortly.

Is there one or two letters in front of that 1870?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just1870

Never mind, I didn't notice that you had put "Est." in the original question. That's when Marlin was first established as a company.

There is a serial number on that gun. Look under the lever on the bottom of the gun or on the tang right behind the lever.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks goodby

Glad to help. To close out the question, please rate my answer with the button provided - thanks!

Philip