Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

Got a Browning BPS DId a dissasembly Have some experience on…

Customer Question
Got a Browning BPS...

Got a Browning BPS DId a dissasembly Have some experience on dis- and reassembly. Now, while disassembling, it looks that the disconnector jammed

Expert's Assistant: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

Have stripped down the gun to slide/disconnector and those forks - this group of parts you disassemble last.

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?

Now, it seems that this unit of slide and the unit above have disconnected, while in most forward position and this is the jam.- How can I bring them back into right position to get them back moving?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Firearms
8/3/2017
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 1 year ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

There are 2 different parts you could be calling "forks" The carrier and the slide assembly. If the bolt is all of the way forward and has detached from the slide assembly the bolt lock will hold the bolt in place. Turning the gun over will drop the lock out of the barrel extension or receiver recess and allow you to move it to the rear. With the bolt about 2/3 of the way to the rear you will be able to move the slide assembly into position and install the slide lock. You can also remove the bolt and slide lock from the front of the receiver, set them in place on the slide arms and insert everything together.

The carrier should move to the bottom of the receiver when the bolt is pulled to the rear and move up when the bolt is moved forward. The position of the bolt determines the position f the carrier.

There is a schematic at the following link:

http://stevespages.com/ipb-browning-bps.html

Tom

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tom,
Seems like bolt and slide lost connection and thus jammed in most forward position.Now, the thing is, my slide does not have those “2 nobs upward“ but one kind of “hook“ that normally locks into the bolt.So simply turning over does not help. Is there any “trick“ how I can get them back together to get the whole thing move again?In fact, there's movement, a few parts of an inch, up to the point where the bolt jams/locks on the step in the receiver (where it usually locks when ready to fire and barrel installed).Any hint, where maybe to insert a small flat screwdriver or any likewise tips?I'd really appreciate!!Thanks& best Thomas from Germany

It sounds you you may need to remove the carrier to get everything out of the receiver and start over, but before taking any more parts out see if you can move the slide to the rear while holding the bolt from moving. The slide normally moves about 1/2" back on the bolt to drop the lock out of the recess in the barrel extension and receiver. This should "unlock" the bolt and allow you to move it and the slide to the rear. When they are about 2/3 of the way back the slide can be lifted enough to move the action assembly back and seat the slide onto the arms.

I should have asked at the beginning, is the barrel off or on the gun?

Tom

Just read your original post again and you say the disconnector is jammed. Is the trigger assembly still in? The disconnector is part of the trigger assembly which needs to be removed before trying to get the bolt and lock in place.

Tom

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tom,
Sorry to have to admit: “disconnector“ was simply wrong.We are on the right track - trigger group has been removed and barrel is off.
And I get why you ask, as its extension into the receiver fits into that place, where actually my problem lies.Still yet, the slide slightly moves back, but something seems to have moved out of place as the unit then clearly locks and does not go back further than max this 1/2“My feel is, that I might have to intervene into the actual movement of those two parts to get them “back to normal“Thanks for your patience! Yours, Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Does the carrier move up and down (the end towards the front) manually? If it is jammed against the bolt or lock you will need to drive the pin out the holds it in place and remove it from the receiver. It is the only thing that I can think of or see that could be preventing the bolt from moving.

If you can take a picture from the bottom of the receiver and post it here so that I can see what position the bolt is in and hopefully tell you what to do to fix it.

I will be out most of the day, I help in a local gun shop on Saturdays. I do all of their repair work and most of my customers come in on Saturday.

I will be back at 4 pm my time, about 9 in Germany.

Tom

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tom,
I am on travel myself right now. Let's postpone to Tuesday when I'm back - then I will send photos.Thanks for your support and have a great day and weekend, yours Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Tuesday is fine, I check for messages before I go down to my shop and when I take a break, I may not answer right away, but I will get back to you.

Have a safe trip!

Tom

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HI Tom,
sorry, took a day longer...Now here we go:
1 pic is just an overview of the whole gun and actual state
1 pic is slide in most forward position
1 pic is slide in most achievable back position (approx 1/2" back)
1 pic is detail of receiver recess, where this whole thing actually jams/locksDo you think, taking out the carrier, as it does not show any sign of movement within this 1/2"?Thanks for your patience! Best, Tom

I didn't receive the pictures. If you have a problem uploading them email to***@******.*** Use the paper clip icon on the toolbar to upload pictures.

Removing the carrier may help. Drive the pin out and it should lift straight up. There is a bushing in the center of the carrier arms that the pin goes through, it's easy to put back in so don't panic when you see it drop out!

Tom

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There were no problems while uploading...
The tips about removing the carrier were helpful - were able to remove the whole stuff and to reassemble.Now I have a new problem.So thanks for your help,
It was pleasure and a big help!Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

Glad I could help, you're welcome!

What's the new problem, with the same gun or something different?

Tom

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tom,
Sorry to reply so late. Have been traveling again.Same gun: managed to unlock the jam, then reassemble even the trigger unit.
Now, it is possible to rack the gun again and again without unlocking the mechanism, the trigger is locked in “cocked position“ (maybe the safety is engaged - cannot verify as I'm still on travel). Am not sure, if something is in wrong place...Best Tom

Hi Tom

If the disconnector is jammed against the side of the receiver or is either bent or broken the gun will not lock up. Can you move the latch in the trigger assembly, if it moves freely the end is bent and not contacting the slide arm or is broken off. If it doesn't move you have it jammed against the receiver and will need to remove the trigger assembly and re-install it.

Tom

Hi Tom,
please receive my apologies for my late reply. After a new removal and complete re-installation of all components, finding out that the two parts to be assembled with the trigger unit (which spreads them apart) where not in foremost position thus blocking everything from the correct locking position. Re-assembly solved the problem. I am happy with my gun again.
Thanks so much for your support, help and patience.
Will recommend your service anytime to any friend in similar trouble!
Best reagrds from Germany, Yours, Thomas
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 11 months ago

Hi Tom,

You are welcome, I'm glad I could help you.

The parts you are referring to are the shell latches and can be tough on the BPS. I have had problems with them at times. Like installing any other part, patients helps!

Tom