TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

I am pretty sure who stole my gun I would like to track it

Customer Question

I am pretty sure who stole my gun I would like to track it down. I reported the theft to the Reno Police Dpt. a 38 S&W Special.. Serial # 97608. I have an up close photo of it. Is there anyway you can track it down so I can let the police know and maybe they can get it back for me. reported it to the police. . The Pistol was handed down to me from my dad who inherited it from Texas Ranger,"Tex Dodson" I am quite sure it can be identified in the records somewhere, that the only other owner was the Texas Rangere. in the early 1930's . I will givew the info to the Reno Police.. so they will re open the case. Thank you, Echo ********* ******** ********** JA: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of? Customer: I don't know what you can do.. except.. track down the serial # and it's location.or new owner. I have the name of the theif.. If you find it.. call me I will see if we cannect it to the theif. and then get it back!! Thank you, ***** *****

Category: Firearms
Expert:  ProShooter replied 3 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Unfortunately, the only way to track it down would be if the gun was registered to the new owner in a state that required handgun registration. Many states, like Virginia where I am require no handgun registration.

Why do you now think that you know who the thief is?