Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

In case I change the barrel of my ***** ***** 700 Sendero 7

Customer Question
mm Rem Mag. What barrel...
In case I change the barrel of my ***** ***** 700 Sendero 7 mm Rem Mag. What barrel size and type would you recommend and which manufacturer.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just wanted to have a slightly heavier barrel. it was not grouping great great. I got a 3 MOA at a 100 yards. I think it was me but I have a budy who is an F class shooter and he got the same 3 MOA. hE recommended that I glass bed the action to the stock first. I will probably do that. What do you think ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Firearms Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Firearms
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/14/2016
Firearms Expert: Kraig Vollmer,
 replied 1 year ago
Kraig Vollmer

Are you looking to have a 7MM remington mag. caliber put back on. If so Shilen makes factory contour pre-threaded barrels that a gun smith would have to fit for you and you would have to do some stock work if you want to bed the barrel. I have a couple of guns that I put Shilen barrels on. And when I want to shoot a tight group just to show off I get my .308 I can put a very nice group together I shot a hole in the center of a 3/4 pipe that was sticking out of the ground. And that is a custom gun I put together with synthetic stock. I either go synthetic or laminated. Let me know if this helps or if you need more info on what all would need to be done.

Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 1 year ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

Because you have a magnum receiver you would need to stay with a magnum caliber. I would go with the 300 Winchester Magnum. There is a large variety of factory ammunition and more 30 caliber bullets for reloading than any other caliber.

The Shilen Select Match barrels are excellent. They need to be cut to length, threaded, chambered and crowned. I prefer the #7 contour. It is a heavy barrel, .850" at the muzzle and approximately 28" long. It can be cut to any length, 26" is good for magnum calibers. Cost is about $350 plus installation which can run another $300.

The Douglas XX Premium barrels are also very good and are priced the same as Shilen.

I prefer blanks because they can be threaded to the center of the bore which is very important for accuracy.

Before changing barrels I would accurize the gun with the 7 mm magnum barrel that is on it. Free float it in the stock, bed the action, cut and lap a new crown, and lap the bolt lugs. Doing the lugs will usually require setting the breech face and shoulder back and then finish cutting the chamber to length. These 4 things can cut group size by a huge amount. Truing the bolt face can help too. Most guns I have done will shoot .5 moa or smaller.

Tom

TOM
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith