Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** Willett. I have a Winchester Model…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** Willett. I have a Winchester Model 1873 Serial No. 207850 with an octanogal barrel. I have had two guns shops look at it and they it appears to be authentic, not reblued and the stock is not refinished. There is some sign of wear but this gone is in extremely good shape. I would like to authenicate it with an expert and know what it is worth because I got it very, very cheap from an older gentleman that said he needed money. (I let him name the price and said that is all he wanted). Can you help me with authenicating and pricing. I would like to sell it to a collector that would appreciate it. I am a hunter and would love to shoot it but am told that is a big no no.

Expert's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I just want to know if it is completely authentic and if so what and maybe where I should sell it. I really want it to go to someone who will appreciate a rifle like this. I can send pictures if you tell me which ones to take. I have been told to measure barrel and don't even know where to start and end. (Some where cut down I have been told). The gun store owners I talked to admitted they were not winchester experts but believed it was all original and well care for.

Expert's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Firearms Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes i am.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Firearms
1/21/2016
Firearms Expert: Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor replied 2 years ago
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor

Thank you for using Blue Book, and Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

1. To measure the barrel go from the muzzle end to the beginning of the cylinder. How long is it?

2. What other markings do you see on the gun, including any patent dates?

Philip