TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

Winchester model 63 trigger lock (safty) issue. are you a

Customer Question

Customer: Winchester model 63 trigger lock (safty) issue. are you a gunsmith or knowledgeable in disassembly of the model 63.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: safety moves freely from safe to fire. very hard to move from fire to safe. had stock off and removed trigger lock spring and plunger (this applies pressure to trigger lock bar(safty) and the trigger lock bar moves freely back and forth as it should. reassemble it properly lubricated and same problem. incredibly hard to push the safety to safe position. The plunger that applies pressure to the trigger lock bar is tiny buy looks ok. makes me think maybe an issue with the trigger lock bar. I do not know how to remove it to0 inspect.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Firearms Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Firearms
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.

From what I can see on the schematic the trigger needs to be removed in order to remove the safety.

There may be a burr or rough spot on the trigger that is making it hard to move the safety. It could also be a weak trigger spring. To check the trigger spring hold the trigger as far forward as it will go and try moving the safety to the safe position. If it moves without a problem replace the spring. Also make sure there is nothing preventing the trigger from moving to the front. (dirt, dried grease, burrs)

Let me know how you make out.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom, As I explained when the trigger lock(safety) plunger and spring is removed, the safety moves back and forth freely when it is reinstalled the same problem exists. Based upon this, I don't see how it could be trigger related.IF it was the safety would still be difficult to move back and forth.The safety is but a mechanical stop to the trigger backward movement.
What prevents the safety from coming out of the trigger housing when the plunger and spring are removed allowing it to go back and forth freely?
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.

I know how the safety works. Try pushing the trigger forward and then moving the safety. When you put the plunger and spring in it puts forward pressure on the safety. Without the plunger and spring pressure if relaxed. A very slight burr can make it hard to move.

The trigger prevents the safety from being removed. It needs to come out first, then the safety.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom, OK, I will inspect this evening when i get home from work. I will see if pushing the trigger forward while moving the safety resolves the problem. If it does not, I will inspect the trigger housing to insure there is nothing preventing the trigger from moving full forward such as dirt/ debris.
If neither of these are present, then the next step is to remove the trigger and inspect the part of it that rests against the safety and the safety itself?
If incorrect, tell me what the next step is to resolving the safety issue.
If I am correct, walk me thru the procedure of removing the trigger.If yes, Can you give me the procedure?
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.

You are correct, there has to be something on the trigger or safety that prevents the safety from moving freely. It doesn't take much to make a part bind.

If you run into any problem let me know.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom,
Are you going to give me the procedure for removing the trigger from the trigger housing? I can not inspect it or the part of the safety that it rests against without removing them from the housing. Where the two contact each other is not open to visual inspection without first removing.
The whole trigger assembly is held together by press fit pins that will need to be driven out in order to remove the parts. I only want to remove the ones I need to remove to get the trigger and safety out.
There is a big strong hammer spring that I do not want to remove unless there is no other way around it.
Outline the procedure for removing the trigger.
Thanks.
. This will part in contact assembly is held together with press fit pins. The hammer spring is really strong and I would prefer assembled with
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.

The trigger is pretty easy to remove. Take the gun down to the 2 sections. There is one pin that holds the trigger and sear in place. With a punch slightly smaller than the pin, drive the pin out from left to right. The trigger and sear should drop down enough to remove them from the receiver.

To reassemble you will need a "slave" pin. Use an old drill bit that fits through the hole in the sear and trigger. Cut it a little smaller than the width of the trigger. Assemble the sear and spring to the trigger, slide it into place and insert the pin. When you insert the pin it will drive the slave pin out.

I will check in later today and this evening, if you have any problem let me know.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No debri preventing trigger from moving forward and holding trigger forward does not resolve problem.
Removed trigger and inspected, wire brushed sharp corners and places of safety trigger contact.
Having problem reassembling. When reassembled without the pin but pin hole lined up with trigger like how it will go together, the safety will not move side to side at all.
Safety is not the same on both ends so it may only go in one way. I did not notice how it was orientated when it came apart. It is about 1 inch in length maybe 3/16 inch in diameter. It has a flat cut on one side that matches the width of the back of the trigger and the side opposite the flat has two adjacent cuts in the middle that I think the safety plunger rides in which provides the positive stop when on safe or on fire. Each end of the safety has a short distance of full diameter and one end the length of the full diameter is longer than the other end by maybe an 1/16 inch. One end full diameter is maybe 3/16, the other end is maybe 3/32. I do not think this difference was an accident so probably the safety can go in only one way. Which way, I do not know.
Putting that aside I can not understand how the safety can move side to side the necessary 3/16 inch of travel when the width of the flat in the safety is barely wider than the width of the back of the trigger. The only way the pin holes in the trigger and housing will line up is if the flat in the safety faces the back of the trigger. I can not understand how the safety has room to move back and forth or side to side in the flat of the safety when the flat is barely larger then the back of the trigger.
My problem now is when it is together and lined up using a nail in place of the pin to hold the trigger in place the safety will not move.
I need to know orientation of the safety, side to side and front to back when installed in the housing.
Winchester has to have generated a reassembly procedure for this See if you can locate me some re assembly instructions.
I look forward to your assistance.
Thanks Tom.
When reinstalled it will not move back and forth at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can see a good pic of the safety (trigger lock) on Numrich gun parts for winchester model 63 SKU: 249090A. Shows how two ends are different.
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.

Most safeties are not reversible, There should be red on one side showing it is in the fire position. This would go on the left side so when the safety is pushed over from the right it will show.

I am 99% sure the longer end goes on the left. When installing it align it so the 2 cuts in the back side are where the plunger sits. You should have a stop with the safety all the way to the left and to the right. If it is in backwards the plunger will only align with 1 cut and will not move. The flat is where the back of the trigger will fit into when you pull it. When the safety is pushed to the right the longer end will prevent the trigger from moving.

Tom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tom,
There is no red on this safety and whether other safeties are reversible is of no relevance to my issue.
The two cuts in the back of the safety are centered in the safety so they align either way.
I already figured out the flat goes to the back, otherwise it will not assemble as I wrote.
I was looking for you to obtain Winchester disassembly reassembly instructions for this rifle.
I can buy on line but it is another $30. I figured you being a gunsmith would have access to these.
Expert:  TOM replied 1 year ago.

The reason I said most safeties are not reversible is because it will only work one way.

The only things I ever use to disassemble or assemble a gun is a schematic or my memory. I do not have access to assembly directions from Winchester or any other manufacturer. There is no need for it, knowing how something functions allows me to assemble it by just looking at the parts.

Use the trigger pin, not a nail, a few thousandths of an inch can make the difference between something working properly and not working. Tolerance's are extremely small on most firearms. If the trigger is sitting back .002" bec ause the wrong pin is in it, it will prevent the safety from moving.

Tom