Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

I purchased a Mossberg 22 leaver action Model 402 Palomino

Customer Question
Customer: I purchased a Mossberg...
Customer: I purchased a Mossberg 22 leaver action Model 402 Palomino when stationed with the military in 1968. Sweet shooting rifle. Think I paid $60 for it. Need info on how to throughly clean it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Firearms Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Only if can get easy instructions on a through cleaning. I doubt I've fired 200 rounds through it since last 50 years. no rust, etc
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Firearms
12/23/2015
Firearms Expert: Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor replied 1 year ago
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor

Thank you for using Just Answer!

My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you.

Getting my references out - back shortly.

OK - I was trying to find a manual for the Model 402 (or the 400, which is the rifle version of your carbine), but no luck.

Looking at a schematic of that gun, you are going to be very limited as to how well you can clean it.

What I do with similar rifles is to use a Bore Snake, or similar product, and Break-Free to clean the barrel and Break-Free to clean the other metal parts.

1. Put some Break-Free (also called CLP) just in front of the bristles of the Bore Snake.

2. Open up the action by pushing the lever down and then feed the Bore Snake through the ejection port, into the chamber of the barrel, let the Bore Snake cord drop down though the barrel, and then pull it all the way through when it appears at the muzzle.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 at least 3 times.

4. Take a Q-Tip with the tip soaked in Break-Free and swab the inside of the action by going through the ejection port. Then take a dry Q-Tip and wipe down the area to remove the CLP (a fine coat is always left behind to protect and lubricate the gun). If the dry Q-Tip is really dirty, repeat this step.

5. Finally, wipe down all the exposed metal parts with a patch soaked in Break-Free and then use a dry patch to wipe off those same parts.

6. When you are done with steps 1-5, your gun should be clean, lubricated, and protected. The lubrication should be almost undetectable so as to not attack dirt, dust, and lint. Further disassembly of the gun is also discouraged.

There is also no point in cleaning inside the magazine tube.

Keep the wood clean and dry.

I hope this helps.

Philip

2.

Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor