ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Certified Firearms Instructor and Glock Certified Armorer.
30945867

I have a Browning .22 LR semi-auto rifle with serial number

Customer Question

I have a Browning .22 LR semi-auto rifle with serial number T7242530. When was it manufactured?
Category: Firearms
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Browning historian states no such serial number exists (no invoice issue upon manufacture) and has records of the previous and subsequent rifle serial numbers.
Expert:  ProShooter replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon,
The problem that I am seeing with the serial number, is that it is out of sequence. Browning coded things in a very specific way, although we have seen coding errors made by the factory. Can you confirm again please that the serial number is ***** exactly on the gun as T7242530?
Jim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the gun it shows: 03524T72 and I've been told it should read T7242530 (reading right to left following the "T")
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Browning historian, Leonard Rees, states "I have conducted a thorough search of the Browning records and can not find an invoice on 03524T72. No other information is available for this firearm."
OK, now that makes sense...
The format of 03524T72 was used when production of this model was turned over to Miroku in Japan. That may be why the Browning historian has no record of it. Things like record keeping during the Miroku transition have been known to be suspect. Now, some websites list the year that Miroku started making guns under the Browning name as 1974, but we know that some models were being made by Miroku well before that. Browning didn't want people to know at the time that the famous "Belg***** *****ing" firearm was being made in Japan.
In any case, your gun was made in 1972.
I hope that this is helpful!
If you are satisfied with my service, please remember to complete a positive rating on your screen now so that the Just Answer website can compensate me for helping you today.
Thanks!
Jim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't buy a shotgun, rather a .22LR semi-auto rifle. It is tapped for scope mount and has the front sight blade .25 inches further away from the muzzle of the barrel. My understanding is Miroku only produced the shotgun line and any manufacturing of parts was to feed the Browning EU facility.
HI...it looks like you asked for a phone call but the payment for that did not go through. If you want to try it again, I'd be happy to call you to continue helping you with this.
What further info do you need?