Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

I have a 6" Colt Python, in Nickel, with Serial number

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 6" Colt...
I have a 6" Colt Python, in Nickel, with Serial number 860960E. I bought it years ago and it is new in the box. Ive just taken it out to show some friends, on occasion, what a fine pistol looks lik.
Well, I'm getting older and wanted to get an Idea what it might be worth if I would decide to sell it and what would be the best venue to market it?
Thanks
***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Firearms
6/4/2015
Firearms Expert: ProShooter, Firearms Instructor replied 2 years ago
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
Good afternoon,
My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Just to confirm, the gun is new and unfired, correct?
Jim
Yes the gun is NIB and never been fired, All original packing and the box has some shelf ware.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have responded to your phone call request. Just accept that offer and send me a number where I may contact you.
Jim,
Thanks for the offer but now if I can just get a text response to my question regarding my Cold Python I'dd be satisfied.
Thanks for your quick attention.
Not a problem! Happy to help...
If you are new to Just Answer, please read first: Once you have read the answer below, you will be prompted to provide a positive rating (on your screen now) for my efforts in answering your question. Please understand that this positive rating is how the website pays me for my work on your question. The rating that you give is for my efforts, not the specific answer itself. Sometimes we give a good effort but must deliver bad news, like a low value for your firearm. We don’t like having to do that, but we want to provide you with an honest answer nonetheless.
This rating must be completed by you in order to close the question out. If you have a follow-up question, you can still reply back to me and I’ll be happy to assist you further. Please reply back and ask any additional questions that you have before you consider leaving a negative rating.
If you have trouble with the rating system, simply reply back with “excellent service, good service, etc.”
A few days after receiving your answer, the website will send you a brief customer satisfaction survey. Please take a moment to complete that, as those high scores are what allows me to be able to help future customers.
Answer:
Thank you for your interest in our Firearms Appraisal service. The information you provided was used to properly identify the information below. Here is the information you requested about your Firearm taken from www.bluebookofgunvalues.com
.
.
Manufacturer - Colt
Model - Python, nickel finish (6 inch)
Serial number- 860960E
Estimated Value Range –see below
.
For your Python, the following current values apply (from the Blue Book of Gun Values). Retail prices may be 20% higher. Percentages are based on the amount of original finish on the gun, and its operational ability. Values are in US Dollars.
.
The Blue Book does not list a value in 100% unfired condition, meaning that there have not been enough documented sales in that condition. They do list the gun at 98% condition with a value of $2,500. Based on that, in my opinion, I would value your gun as follows:
.
New in box/perfect --100% condition - $3,000
I hope that this is helpful!
Sincerely,
Jim
.
.
This Firearm appraisal is a value estimate on the appraised firearm for the date of the appraisal. The value quoted is a real world market value (also known as a private party value) and is the amount you should expect to pay for the firearm. This is not an appraisal for retail or wholesale purposes.
The information and values in this appraisal are compiled from a variety of sources including the current editions of the Blue Book of Gun Values , my internal reference library, my network of Firearms experts across the United States, firearms auctions, and through various online sites.
The values in this appraisal are based on recent sales of comparable and similar firearms taking into account the rarity, desirability, and overall original condition of the firearm. In the case that a comparable sale is not readily available, the value is based on a projected amount that the firearm would be expected to sell for.
All information compiled in this firearm evaluation using the Blue Book of Gun
Values online database and Photo Percentage Grading System is copyrighted 2015 by Blue Book Publications, Inc. and may not be used for any other purpose without written permission from the publisher. Any unauthorized usage of the Photo Percentage Grading System for the evaluation of firearms values and color photo percentage breakdown is also expressly forbidden by the publisher.
Hi again Jim,Thanks for the information. Like I mentioned, I bought this gun new and it was never fired by me, or anyone else except the gun shop, the factory. I don't think the gun shop fired it. Does the factory fire new guns before they send them out? If so how much firing do they do. I do remember buying guns with targets packed inside the gun box. This Python had no target inside the box.
Thanks Again.
, or anyone else that I know of except perhaps the gun shop , or the factory before I bought it.
Usually, guns are test fired 1-2 rounds, but that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. I'm not sure at this point if there would be any way to tell.
ProShooter
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor