Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

Tom. my name is***** have a quick question I just

Customer Question

Hello Tom.
my name is***** have a quick question I just got offered a Colt D.A. 38 that has some writing on the top of the barrel COLT'S PT F A MFG CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A. PATENTED AUG.5,1884 NOV.6,88 MAR.5,95.The cylinder release is marked “732” The butt is marked “259/223″. The inside of both panels are marked “732”. The left side of the trigger guard has a "3" and to the rear of it there is a upside-down triangle with some symbol in the center of it.when I swing down the cylinder there is a "x" and right below it it has "732" the color is a black bluish color what can you tell me about it?
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer! Tom has stepped away. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help you. That should be a Colt 1895 New Army & Navy Civilian Double Action revolver. It should have double cylinder notches and locking bolts, shorter flutes on the cylinder than previous models, cylinder rotates counter clockwise, they come with a 3, 4-1/2, or a 6 inch barrel. Yours is blue, but they also came in nickel. The serial number of that gun is 259223, which was the number found on the butt. The 732 numbers elsewhere are assembly numbers. Values run around $300-$400 for "good" condition, $500-$700 for "very good", and $1,150-$1,650 for excellent. I hope this helps. If I missed something, let me know. Philip