Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

I have a Winchester Model 1892 short rifle, 44-40 cal., 14"

octagon barrel, overall a brown...
I have a Winchester Model 1892 short rifle, 44-40 cal., 14" octagon barrel, overall a brown gun, bore with good rifling but some rust and pitts, works and shoots good. What is approximate value. Thanks----Jim
6/5/2012
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Thank you for using Just Answer!

What is the serial number of that Model 1892?

Philip
1892 serial # XXXXX
The Winchester Model 1892 was an updated successor to the Model 1873 using a scaled-down action from the Model 1866. The rifle was chambered for the popular small-game cartridges of the time: .25-20, .32-20 (AKA the .32 WCF), .38-40, .44-40 (AKA the .44 WCF), and the rare .218 Bee.

The Model 1892 was built between 1892 and 1932 with just over 1,000,000 sold. The carbine version was sold until 1941.

Based on the serial number provided, your gun was made in 1910.

There were 5 different configurations:

1. Sporting rifle (24 inch barrel)
2. Fancy Sporting Rifle (24 inch barrel, checkering on pistol grip)
3. Carbine (20 inch barrel)
4. Trapper's Carbine (18 inch barrel or less)
5. Musket (30 inch barrel)

Retail pricing for the non-antique Model 1892 Trapper's Carbine (brown finish is common, few are in over 30% condition. FEDERAL LAW SHOULD BE CHECKED REGARDING THIS SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE):

Excellent: $17,100
Very Good: $10,740-$14,100
Good: $7,620-$8,880
Fair: $2,250-$5,070
Poor: $1,500

I hope this helps. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the "accept" button. Thanks!

Philip

I don't know if it makes any difference but this a short rifle , not a Trappers Carbine..

I sent the rifle to the ATF and they returned it with a letter stating it was put on the C & R list.

Excellent - glad the "papers are in order" on the rifle.

Are you saying it is not a Trapper's Carbine, but a Model 1892 Sporting Rifle or Carbine that someone shortened? Or was it a custom order from the factory?

If not a factory option, it will effect the value. I will need to know what the rifle was before it was shortened.

Philip
Relist: Answer quality.
The expert refered to the rifle as a Trappers Carbine, it is a Short Rifle. I don't know if that makes a difference or not in the value.
I do have the letter from the ATF putting this rifle on the C 7 R list.
Thanks----Jim
The values will change. Was it a factory modification? Was it a rifle or a carbine before the modification? Is the grip checkered?

Philip

From what I have been able to find out, the rifle is in orginal configuration, it left the factory as a Short Rifle. No checkering.

Jim

How do you know it is not the Trapper's Carbine model? That was a factory version that came standard with a 12, 14, 15, 16, or 18 inch barrel and looks like this:

graphic

This rifle has an octagon barrel with front and rear rifle sights, a rifle style forearm

except shorter and no saddle ring on the left side.

Jim

Thanks for the additional information - I found what you have. There were factory special-order short-barreled rifles available with barrels under 16 inches. They are fairly rare, many going south of the border. Depending on the rifle's condition, the retail values range from $3,900 to $9,600.

Philip
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor