Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

winchester model 12 has two serial numbers

Customer Question
have you ever see a...
have you ever see a winchester model 12 has two serial numbers-and stamped on barrel is the last date of 1913? why would it have 2 serial numbers? the vin #'s are 350760 & 449576 one is from 1924 and the other says 1926! what year do you think and what's it worth if anything
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Firearms
4/8/2012
Firearms Expert: gcgunsmithing, Consultant replied 5 years ago
gcgunsmithing
gcgunsmithing, Consultant

gcgunsmithing :

Hi there

gcgunsmithing :

the only thing i can think of is that it was put toghether from two or possibly three model 12s

gcgunsmithing :

the serial numbers coincide close with the dates is there anything written on it that could help me give a more informed answer?

Customer:

we are goin to look!

gcgunsmithing :

the 350760 falls in1923 production of this firearm and 449576 falls in 1925 production

Customer:

since it's such an awesome lookin(almost new) the ?blueing? the barrel says nickel steel and it has a removable choke in the end of barrel!

Customer:

what would you say it's worth?

gcgunsmithing :

well i can give you the values for a tipical model 12 of the same production if you like?

Customer:

yes please

gcgunsmithing :

ok i need a few more details please, tell what the writing on it says

gcgunsmithing :

how long is the barrel?

Customer:

NICKEL STEEL WINCHESTER MODEL 12 -12 GUAGE FULL down below it says REG IN US.PAT.& FGN

gcgunsmithing :

is the finish a"blued (black)" finish ?

Customer:

ON THE OTHER SIDE MANUFACTURED BY THE WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS C0. NEW HAVEN, CONETTICUT USA

Customer:

yes but most of it is wore off on the barrel

Customer:

has a 20 or 22' barrel holds 7 shells

gcgunsmithing :

is there anyway you could attacha picture?

gcgunsmithing :

and i need to know exactly how long of a barrel it has

Customer:

yes we are gonna try!

gcgunsmithing :

there was many different varietions of the model 12 so forgive me for asking so many question but i only wish to give as correct an answer as i can

gcgunsmithing :

to attach a pic. click on the paper clip icon

Customer:

your questions are fine! we been trying to figure it out for days! there are alot

Customer:

he's e-mailin me picture and i'll send

gcgunsmithing :

ok great i will defitely close this matter for you but you just have to bear with me for a few more minutes

gcgunsmithing :

to measure the barrel you go from the breech face where the firing pin hole is to the end of the barrel

gcgunsmithing :

with the action closed

gcgunsmithing :

i suspect you have a model 12 "Riot Gun" lets see if i'm correct

Customer:

i got told that it was a riot gun and a cop carried it the barrel is for sure 22'' and u can hold the trigger and pump it and everytime the action closes it will fire

gcgunsmithing :

the model 12 came in many different combinatios of gauge, lenght of barrel, ribs and stocks and all make a difference in value and sometimes quite a bit of difference

gcgunsmithing :

the Riot gun came in 20" not 22" please verify this for me

gcgunsmithing :

that's neet isn't it that's what they call a street sweeper this days right? maybe not :-)

Customer:

picture should be om=n the way

gcgunsmithing :

great thank you

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

the barrel is 22'' just measured it

gcgunsmithing :

ok one more thing could send me a close up of the rib?

gcgunsmithing :

that is a good looking gun

Customer:

yea were worki

Full Size Image

Customer:

is that what u needed?

gcgunsmithing :

yes great

gcgunsmithing :

check one more thing serial number on bottom of receiver should match serial number on back of magazine tube

Customer:

the ser #'s are different

gcgunsmithing :

this style of rib is called "Donut" or Winchester Special ventilated rib

gcgunsmithing :

ok from what i can tell you have a model 12 that has been put toghether from two or three different ones which is ok

gcgunsmithing :

not as desirable from a serius collector point of view but still very sout after by many different firearms enthusiasts

gcgunsmithing :

here is the values i can give you on a standard grade model 12 and a riot gun model 12:

gcgunsmithing :

the standard grade

gcgunsmithing :

Exc. $1000

gcgunsmithing :

VG $800

gcgunsmithing :

Good $700

gcgunsmithing :

riot gun:

gcgunsmithing :

Exc.$1800

gcgunsmithing :

VG $1300

gcgunsmithing :

Good $900

gcgunsmithing :

yours leans towards the riot gun values more than the standard

Customer:

so then you would give 300.00 for this gun based on what you've seen and heard?

gcgunsmithing :

oh no i would pay lot more for that gun but that's me

gcgunsmithing :

and actually i base everithing on actual professional records

Customer:

even though it's been pieced together?

gcgunsmithing :

:-)

gcgunsmithing :

yes as long as it looks original made parts whats the difference i am not a serius collector i still believe it is a original model 12 from 1920ish and they bjust don't make them the same anymore

gcgunsmithing :

also forgot to tell you,

Customer:

i agree thank you so much for all your help!

Customer:

k!

gcgunsmithing :

you can add 30% to these values for the winchester ventilated rib

gcgunsmithing :

i think you should be able to get $1200 to 1500 for this fine gun but thats my opinion

gcgunsmithing :

you know what they say: beauty is in the eye of the beholder

gcgunsmithing :

that being sayd

gcgunsmithing :

i hope i was helpfull

gcgunsmithing :

and thanks for choosing just answer

Customer:

and somethins only worth as much as someone is willing to give you for it! it is a very beautiful gun just wanted to be sure weren't wasting our money and i think we got an awesome steal after our chat. he only gave 300.00! it is beautiful! god bless you stay safe and do i need to do anything else

Customer:

this is my first time and very impressed!

gcgunsmithing :

yes God bless and if you wouldn't mind don't forget to click "accept" so i can get credit for this

gcgunsmithing :

thank you

gcgunsmithing :

G.C.

Customer:

thank you!

gcgunsmithing
gcgunsmithing, Consultant
gcgunsmithing
gcgunsmithing
gcgunsmithing, Consultant