Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

I have a COLT DA 45 PTFA Mfg Co Hartford CT USA PATD Aug 5

Customer Question
1884 June 5 1900 July...
I have a COLT DA 45 PTFA Mfg Co Hartford CT USA PATD Aug 5 1884 June 5 1900 July 4 1905 US ARMY Model 1917 No125 390 crome Can you tell me any thing about it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Firearms
1/27/2012
Firearms Expert: Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor replied 5 years ago
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Thank you for using Just Answer!

The Colt U.S. Army Model 1917 has smooth walnut grips, a 5.5 inch barrel, is chambered in .45 ACP, and has a model designation stamped on the butt of the gun. Nickel finish is scarce.

Based on the supplied serial number, your gun was made in 1916.

Blue Book values (what a dealer would offer you, add around 20% for retail values):

Excellent: $895-$1,375
Very Good: $610-$700
Good: $455-$525
Fair: $250-$390
Poor: $200

I hope this helps. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click the "accept" button. Thanks!

Philip

My gun looks to be crome and has smooth pearl grips

Looks like the gun was refinished and the grips changed in that case. That will lower the value to, at best, "good" condition.
I just found out that it is nickel . How is the barrl measherd ? is it from the cylender to the tip or just the barrl alone
What about the stamp on the barrel that reads PATD D AUG 5 1984 JUNE 5 1900 JULY 4 1905.
The barrel length for a revolver is from the tip of the barrel up to the face of the cylinder (includes the forcing cone area in front of the cylinder.

1905 is the correct last patent date for a Model 1917...

Philip

Why dose it have 1900 and 1884 on it ? Will i be able to get smooth walnut grip for it?

Those other dates are there because the references patents for various features of the gun. Some guns can have six or more patent dates.

Yes, you should be able to find replacement grips for it. If you want me to check around for you, start a new question thread and I will see what I can find.

Philip
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor