Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I have a Remington Fieldmaster Model 121 that was given to…

I have a Remington Fieldmaster...
I have a Remington Fieldmaster Model 121 that was given to me by my uncle when I turned 12, I'm 63 now. He said that he bought it at a pawn shot in Oxnard California. I'm curious when it was built I have the following information:
Serial # XXXXX
Overall length 41 3/4 inches
Barrel length 24 inches (round)
Fires 22 short, long or long rifle
Pump action
Wood stock and wood fore end.
The top of the barrel has Remington Arms Co. Inc., Ilion N.Y. Made in U.S.A.
If you could please answer my question it would give me more information when I pass it on to one of my grown sons.
12/14/2011
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

There is a date code on the barrel. On the left near the receiver. It is with the gun pointed away from you. Sometimes they are very close to the bottom or very light. Use a magnifying glass, You can also rub the barrel near the receiver with white chalk and then wipe off the barrel very lightly with a clean rag. The chalk will fill in the letters so that you can see them better.

Tom

On the right of the barrrel, by the ejection port, is a symbol that looks like a capitol "T" and on the left side all I can see is what appears to be two capitol "U" I also saw what appears to be the number 0.

July of 1949 is the manufacture date. There were 201,000 manufactured between 1936 and 1954. The Blue Book values are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
$700$625$525$475$375$315$275

Add 20% to 30% to the blue Book values for retail prices.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

Thank you very much for the answer to my question, now I'll be able to let my sons know when my rifle was built.

You're welcome John, I'm glad I could help you.

Tom

TOM
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith