Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

I have a Ranger Model 35 22 short, long or long rifle in

I have a Ranger Model...
I have a Ranger Model 35
22 short, long or long rifle in great shape bolt action curious to know how much it would be worth.
11/14/2011
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Thank you for using Just Answer.

The Sears/Ranger Model 35 is actually a Steven Model 66, but sold and marketed by Sears. It is a bolt-action .22 rifle with an adjustable rear sight. It holds 21-shots of .22 Short, 17-shots of .22 Long, and 15-shots of .22 Long Rifle in a tube magazine. Made from 1935 to 1948. It is valued as more of a shooter than a collectible.

Retail values:

Excellent: $150
Very Good: $130
Good: $95

I hope this helps.

Philip

it is a single shot bolt action. Not tube fed.

Isn't that interesting. I have two references that show the Ranger 35 is a Stevens Model 66. One of my references has the model 66 listed, but shows it as tube fed. I am opting out to let another expert figure this one out.

Philip
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

I believe your gun was made by Stevens for Sears and is a Model 83. It fires 22 Short, long and long rifle, is a bolt action single shot with open sights. The barrel length should be 24" and the side of the receiver drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. If it has the receiver sight (peep sight) it is a Model 083. They were made between 1935 and 1942. The Blue Book values are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
$175$150$125$100$85$70$60

Add 20% to 30% to the Blue Book values for retail prices.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Engraved on gun is Model 35

it has front and rear sights

and it 24' long and its got the bolt action that cocks from the back of the bolt.

All of the Sears Ranger models were produced by the major gun manufacturers. Some by Winchester, some by Savage/Stevens and some by Marlin. The Ranger Model 35 was produced by Stevens and is the same gun as the Stevens Model 83. The gun you described is the same as the one I gave you. Open sights are sights on the barrel, both front and rear. It is a bolt action and the bolt is used to chamber rounds and extract empties. To cock it you must pull out the cocking piece at the rear of the bolt.

Tom

TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
TOM
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith