TOM
TOM, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 YRS EXPERIENCE,Certified Armorer
47830436

smith&wesson 38 speical XXXXXw special ctg seril#

Customer Question

smith&wesson 38 speical XXXXXw special ctg seril# XXXXX age / value / can it shoot +p ammo
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Hi, my name is Bill. I would be glad to help you any way that I can by answering your question to the best of my ability.
What model is your S&W?
Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can not find a model # only 38 speical i think its a 1935 year of make tell me where it would be looked everywhere
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
When you open the cylinder up, the model number will be stamped on the frame inside there.
Thanks,
Bill
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
only # in side is 54767
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, but there is not enough information for me to tell what model it is. Without that I'm just guessing. I will opt out and see if another expert can figure out what gun it is.
Thank you,
Bill
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me the barrel length, number of shots, topbreak or swing out cylinder? Is it hammerless or an exposed hammer? Double action?

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4 inch 6 shot swing out exposed hammer double action seems like i'm doing all the reasearch
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.

Smith & Wesson has produced over 40 different handguns in 38 Special. There are 7 different barrel lengths, some models are 5 shot and some are 6 shot. Since I don't have the gun in front of me, I need the information from you to figure out which gun you have.

Your gun is a .38 MILITARY & POLICE (MODEL OF 1905 - 4TH CHANGE) They were made from 1915 to 1942. Your serial number would put it around 1929 or 1930. S&W does not publish serial number information on their guns and I have to take the total production and divide it by the number of years it was made.

The round butt has hard rubber grips and the square butt has walnut grips. Finish can be either blued or nickel. The Blue Book values are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%50%40%30%20%10%
N/A$1,125$900$850$700$600$500$400$325$250$225$175

Add 50% for Target Model. (adjustable sights)

Add 20% to 30% for retail values.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
45.00$ only thanks
Expert:  TOM replied 5 years ago.

I'm not sure what your reply means. Can I help you with something else about it?

Tom