Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Experience:  Firearms instructor, 40 years experience with firearms.
47070024

I have a Remington model 550-1. I can find no serial number

Customer Question

I have a Remington model 550-1. I can find no serial number just a patent number. Where would I find the serial number? How would I find out when the rifle was made?
Category: Firearms
Expert:  Philip Van Cleave replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

The Remington Model 550 was made from 1941 to 1971. Prior to 1968, a serial number was not required on firearms. So there is a good possibility that there is no serial number on that gun. However, look on the left side of the gun on the barrel for a two or three letter code. Let me know that the code is and I can give you a date of manufacture.

The Model 550A is a .22 Short, Long, or Long Rifle caliber semi-automatic rifle with a 24 inch barrel and open sights (the Model 550B has an aperture rear sight). It is blued with a walnut pistol-grip stock. Approximately 220,000 were made.

Pricing for 550A:

Excellent: $350
Very Good: $275
Good: $150
Fair: $100
Poor: $75

Pricing for 550B:

Excellent: $375
Very Good: $300
Good: $175
Fair: $125
Poor: $100

I hope this helps.

Philip
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The number is op 78.
Your gun was made in July of 1967 (based on the letter code "OP"), just before mandatory serial numbers became law. But, again, the serial number on a Remington does not provide the date - the code on the left side of the barrel does that.