Firearms

Need gun information? Ask a firearms expert for answers ASAP

I've seen a lot of online information about Iver shotguns,

Customer Question
I've seen a lot of...
I've seen a lot of online information about Iver Johnson shotguns, but not much defininitive about their age. Can you tell me the age of an Iver Johnson 20 gauge single shot "champion" model shotgun, serial number 26415? It is stamped:
IVERS JOHNSON'S
ARMS AND CYCLE WORKS
FITCHBURG, MASSS U.S.A.
CHAMPION
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Firearms
Answered in 2 days by:
3/29/2011
Firearms Expert: TOM, Gunsmith replied 7 years ago
TOM
TOM, Gunsmith

The Iver Johnson Champion was first introduced in 1890 in 12 gauge and then in 1901 in 16 gauge. The 20 gauge version was first made in 1909 in the Champion Model 36. It was produced from 1919 until 1922. There are no sources for exact dates of manufacture on Iver Johnson guns.

They have barrel lengths from 26" to 32", are blued with walnut stocks and have extractors or ejectors.

The values are:

100%98%95%90%80%70%60%
$250$220$190$155$130$115$100

These are trade in prices, add 20% for retail.

I hope this helps you,

Tom

Hi Tom:

That is interesting information, but it does not answer when my particular serial number was manufactured. I saw a source online that recommended a book that seems to be the prime source for Iver Johnson information, but I haven't sought out a copy.

All of the other serial numbers I saw were much higher than mine, but that still leaves me wondering.

Thanks.

Like I stated in my answer, there are no sources for manufacture dates on the Iver Johnson guns. I did hit a wrong key, the 20 gauge was made from 1909 to 1922, not 1919 to 1922. There may be a book someplace, but I can not own every book published on firearms. Just the Blue Book, Standard Catalog of Firearms and Gun Digest Book of Guns and Prices is over $100. Specialty books are up to $75 each. It is impossible. I believe each gauge of the Iver Johnsons has its own series of numbers, so your gun would not be one of the very early ones. There were many more 12 gauge made than any other and they were produced for a longer time so the chances of seeing a higher number are greater than any other gauge.

If I had to guess, I would have to say around 1916, 1/2 way through the production. I seem to recall reading someplace that there were around 50,000 20 gauge guns made. I may have it mixed up with another model, I'm not 100% positive. I read so much on so many different guns and work on so many that they all run together sometimes.

Tom

Hi Tom:

I appreciate your responses and will "accept" your next answer so that you get paid. I went back and looked and the other on-line responses refer to the book by W.E. Goforth titled, "Iver-Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Firearms".

I apologize if you felt I was suggesting that you ought to have this book in your collection. When you said there are no sources for information, I was just trying to be helpful by suggesting that there might in fact be a source, just for future reference, or in case you had access to it through some means.

I also found lots of other information that suggested Iver Johnson 20 gauge guns were made in the 1940s and 1950s, which contradicts your information. For example, I found this on-line: "My first shotgun was an Iver Johnson "Champion", in 20 gauge. It had a lever behind the hammer to open the action. I have never seen a gun as you described but mine was made about 1950........Robin" I also found posts that said for a while (in the 1940's) Iver Johnson used letters instead of numbers for their serial numbers.

Bot***** *****ne, I appreciate your efforts, but I still don't have what I feel is any reliable information about the age of my gun. Thanks for trying.

Please do not direct any other questions to me