Firearms

Need Gun Information? Ask a Firearms Expert for Answers ASAP

Firearms

Im looking at a Rem. Hepburn #3 long range target rifle. Im

Customer Question
I'm looking at a Rem...
I'm looking at a Rem. Hepburn #3 long range target rifle. I'm questioning the fact that it has a 32" bbl. and chambered in 45-110. From what i've gathered that model came in 26",28" and 30" The #'s all match and the fonts appear to match the ones on similer rifles I've compared them to. Could this have been a spec. order? I've never heard or seen this model in this cal. Thank You...
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Firearms
3/23/2011
Firearms Expert: Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor replied 6 years ago
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Thanks for using Just Answer!

The Blue Book shows the Remington-Hepburn #3 Long Range Creedmore has a 32" or 34" barrel, HOWEVER it is showing only the calibers .44-77, .44-90, and .44-105, not .45-110. That makes me think it was either a custom made rifle or perhaps altered by an owner. The factory did offer custom features, but I'm not sure if that included different calibers.

The Long Range Creedmore has a half-octagonal barrel, long range vernier rear sight, combination wind gauge and spirit level front sight, checkered walnut stock, and a rubber shotgun buttplate.

I hope this helps.

Philip

I Did'nt think this was a creedmore rifle. In the target rifle the cal. went as large as 50-90. I was thinking that the chances of it being a mid-range with a longer bbl. were better than a creedmore because 45-110 is within the cal. range of a midrange target rifle. Also thef only made a very small # XXXXX creedmores. What do you think. Thank You!

Since you don't believe it is a Creedmoor (and it very possibly isn't), and there is no record of a barrel longer than 30 inches for the regular rifle, the regular rifle was available in multiple calibers with .45-100 well within the range of the calibers offered, and with the matching serial numbers on your rifle, that tells me that it most probably was a custom ordered Remington-Hepburn No. 3 rifle.

BTW, I did find a 30" barrel No. 3 rifle in 45-110 at an auction site, so that caliber is out there in the No. 3s.

One last thought - if the barrel is marked 45-110 in the correct size and font as the rest of the markings on the gun, that would probably nail it down as a custom order.

Philip
Philip, This rifle does fit your discription as a Long Range Creedmore.Fjestad's "blue book" lists calibers for this model as .45-90 + .44-105. But I did find in Major Ned Roberts book " Breechloading Single Shot Rifles", that on later rifles cart. in .45-90-2 4/10 And .45-100-2 7/8.This rifles markings are indeed .45 - 2 7/8. I had put in my former discription to you .45-110 which i mistook for .45-2 7/8.It also mentions that only a few hundred were made. So now that we've got that straightened out I'm left with the ? of why the ser.# XXXXX this rifle is 62XX ? This is why i contacted Remington societyto begin with, and ended up with Just Answer.com. Do you have access to serialization for this model . Thank You again...
The Blue Books says .44-77, .44-90, and .44-105 - nothing in .45. So, not a match (unless something custom).

The Remington-Hepburn No. 3 Schuetzen Match Rifle came in various calibers and had a 32" barrel. The action on this gun is raised or lowered using a lever on the TRIGGER GUARD. The trigger guard is not plain, but fancy with many curved pieces.
Did'nt you read my last statement about nNed Roberts?
Sorry, I misread what you wrote.

I just found this - a 32" R-H No. 3 target rifle in .40-70! Does this look like what you have?

http://www.cowanauctions.com/auctions/item.aspx?Itemid=74937

Click on one of the images below the rifle to see larger versions.

Serial number is XXXXX I'm wondering if it isn't a custom barrel length that was offered on the regular target rifle...

Philip, Please read my last response to you! Ibeleive I do have a long range creedmore, If you read my last response you'll see my ? is if only a few hundred were made why is my ser. ? 62XX .

That's what was throwing me. The explanation is simple if the gun isn't a Creedmoor - the serial number is XXXXX the range of other No. 3 target rifles.

BUT, if it is a Creedmoor, then the only explanation is that the serial numbers span all the Remington-Hepburn No. 3 models and don't restart at 1 for each different model. I think that is what they did and why your serial number is XXXXX the 6 thousands.

And I may have just found proof that the Creedmoors have serial numbers in the thousands. Here is an auction site that has one with serial number 2892!

Look at item #1158:

http://tinyurl.com/4htzngh

Philip, Thank you so much for your help. Do you think I should only fire black powder cart. or can Ishoot smokeless in a limited velocity.
I would take the gun to a gunsmith and let him evaluate it for being safe to shoot with either blackpowder or smokeless powder.

Unless you have more questions on this gun, and if you are satisfied with my answers, please click the "Accept" button so that I will get paid - thanks!
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave
Philip Van Cleave, Firearms Instructor