Firearms Repair

Have Firearms Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

Remington, the sportsman 20 gauge. square top like browning.

Remington, the sportsman 20...

Remington, the sportsman 20 gauge. square top like browning. inherited. it shoots very well but stiff to reload. I took it apart and found a spring like a hairpin lying in the action. i don't know how/where to put it back in. can you help?

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

The reload lever doesn't come down and the bolt sometimes doesn't lock back.

1/9/2018
Tom
Tom, Gunsmith

Do you mean the Model 11 Sportsman like the Browning A-5?

Tom

The only spring like you describe that I know of is the carrier spring. It moves the carry down when the bolt moves to the rear. It is mounted on the side of the receiver in a slot at the rear of the carrier. Part #25 on the following schematic.

http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-11.html

Tom

I've heard those models in my search but nothing on thr gun to support it.

I hit the wrong spot and it cancelled the phone call. Look at the schematic for the shape of the receiver. If it matches your gun is a model 11 Sportsman

Tom

The picture is the right gun and the spring is there. Now wherr does it go?

It goes on the sidewall of the receiver at the rear of the carrier. There should be a groove in the receiver and a small pin at the back of it that the rear rounded part of the spring fits on. I am pretty sure it is on the left side, It's been a while since I had on apart.

Do you still want me to call you?

Tom

No thanks. Let me work a while. I may still need you if I cant get it

Okay, I will be checking every 20 to 30 minutes. Just let me know.

The spring is what flips the carrier up to lift the shell in front of the bolt.

Tom

I was thinking of a different gun for the spring placement. It goes on the left side of the trigger assembly. Give me a few minutes and I will post a picture of it.

Tom

I found wherr it fits but now can't get the bolt assy to fit down.
Yeah! It works. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.

This model can be tough for someone who hasn't worked on it before. There is a certain order to take things out and put back together.

Usually when the bolt seems stiff and hard to move it is from a build up of dirt and grease in the recoil tube in the stock. It should be disassembled, cleaned and put back together.

Tom

Tom
Tom, Gunsmith
Phone call session started