Firearms Repair

Have Firearms Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

I have a 30-30 Marlin jammed with the leaver in the open…

I have a 30-30...

I have a 30-30 Marlin jammed with the leaver in the open position, when trying to rack inn a round.

Expert's Assistant: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.

I have a 30-30 Marlin jammed with the lever in the open position when trying to rack in a round.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

I have 3 rounds in the gun

12/13/2017
Tom
Tom, Gunsmith

When lever guns jam it is usually because the loading gate screw is loose and the gate blocks the carrier from moving.

Try turning the gun so that the right side is facing down, open the lever fully and then try closing it. The gate should drop into place and allow you to cycle the gun. Once empty tighten the screw that holds the loading gate in place. Number 27 on the following schematic

http://stevespages.com/ipb-marlin-336.html

If this does not work, let me know and I will tell you how to disassemble it to clear the loaded rounds and fix the problem.

Tom

The loading gate screw was not lose, The lever is fully down and will not close, the round will not slide into the loading chamber. Bob *************

Something has to be blocking the carrier from moving. If you are comfortable taking the gun apart I will walk you through it.

Tom

Tom
Tom, Gunsmith
I feel with your help I can take the gun apart, as long as we do not have to take the guts out of it.

*************

Jon
Jon, Consultant
Phone call session started

The easiest way to remove the ammo is to take the magazine cap off and remove them from the front. There is a screw in the bottom of the tube that holds the cap on. It will be under some pressure from the spring. You may need to remove the screw from the barrel band at the muzzle for the follower to clear and allow the ammo to be removed.

If further disassembly is required I will send instructions as soon as I get back from an early appointment.

Tom

If you need to remove the trigger plate: Remove the tang screw #15 and pull the stock off to the rear. Push the top of the mainspring adjusting plate #13 to either side, remove it and the spring. There will be a lot of tension because the hammer is cocked.

Remove screw #38 from the lever and pull the lever down and out of the receiver.

Remove the hammer screw #14 and the bottom and side trigger plate screws #'s 17 & 18. Pull the trigger plate down and out of the receiver.

You should now be able to swing the front of the carrier up or down to clear any ammunition in the magazine tube.

When you re-assemble start the 2 trigger plate screws, but do not tighten, when aligning the hammer to insert the hammer screw hold the trigger to the rear, it will make it much easier to get it into position.

Push the bolt about 1/2 way in and slide the lever into the recess on the bolt.

Put the mainspring on the guide, then put the bottom edge of the spring plate into the groove in the lower tang. Push the top of the plate forward and under the upper tang.

If you have any questions or problems let me know. Make sure to tighten all screws, even ones you did not remove. Open and close the lever a few times to make sure everything works correctly.

Tom

Tom
Tom
Tom, Gunsmith