Firearms Repair

Have Firearms Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

I am fixing a Star PD 45ACP which will not lock the slide…

Customer Question
I am fixing a...

I am fixing a Star PD 45ACP which will not lock the slide all the way forward with a round in the clip. It is missing the buffer on the recoil spring guide, which is a two piece guide. The two pieces seem to be pressed together and do not separate. Are they supposed to be stuck or should they be movable. How would you change the buffer and spring? Thanks

Expert's Assistant: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?

No, the gun is in decent shape

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Firearms Repair
12/6/2017
Firearms Expert: Tom, Gunsmith replied 7 months ago
Tom
Tom, Gunsmith

Hi

The recoil spring guide head (inner end) is threaded into the rod. The guide rod plug on the opposite end is also threaded. Both ends can be removed by holding the guide rod and turning the head or plug with padded pliers. It should be a right hand thread, but if it will not turn clockwise try turning for a left hand thread.

Tom

Sometimes it is easier to use 2 padded pliers, one on each end, hold 1 end and turn the other and remove the end that loosens first.

You may need to use a 1911 buffer and fit it to your gun. Finding parts for Stars can be tough.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I will try it in a couple of days. I actually did find a buffer and it is on the way to me. I thought it might be threaded, but did not want to take the chance of damaging the part, as they are just about impossible to find a replacement, as you mentioned.
I will let you know if there are any further questions. Take care.
Larry

You're welcome, Glad I could help.

Tom