Firearms Repair

Have Firearms Repair Questions? Ask an Expert

While sighting in a new .30-06 Remington 7500 Woodmaster, I…

While sighting in a new...
While sighting in a new .30-06 Remington 7500 Woodmaster, I encountered an odd failure to fire with a factory 180 gr Remington Core-Lokt SP: the neck of the case is crumpled and I do not think it was when loading. The firing pin did not strike the primer (which was probably lucky). I'm guessing because the round was not in battery. Comparing the crumpled round to a factory round does not suggest any obvious differences between the two, suggesting that the crumpled round as longer before it crumpled. Though the actual bullet of the crumpled round may be a shade larger--I don't have a caliper. Neither I, nor anyone I know has seen this before.
Answered in 2 days by:
10/4/2017
ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor

Hi Jason! My name is ***** ***** I'm the firearms expert here at Just Answer. Please give me a moment to review your question/issue. I will reply back shortly.

Well, that certainly is an interesting photo. I can say that I have personally seen some similar issues with smaller caliber Remington rounds, not that caliber. It would appear that despite quality control standards, you got a piece a brass that was out of spec for some reason...perhaps becoming damaged during the crimping process.....

I can see the bullet not being seated correctly in that photo.....its rare, but I have seen things like that happen. Were all the other rounds ok?

ProShooter
ProShooter, Firearms Instructor
I had gotten the nine 180 gr from my father-in-law in order to try out my wife's rifle with different ammo. I hadn't had any problems with the first seven, and didn't fire the last two. However, there weren't any problems with the other eleven that must have been in the box.

I have to imagine then, as I said that you must have gotten a round that was out of spec. Quality control is good, but its never 100% perfect. Have you spoken to Remington about this?