Tom
Tom, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 years as a gunsmith, certified Armorer
47830436

I have a colt .380 XPS. It fires fine at the range, but is

Customer Question

I have a colt .380 XPS. It fires fine at the range, but is the devil to put back together after cleaning. The rod and springs bind, which leaves the rod and slide sticking out a half inch. tried Wolff replacement road and spring. there was no innner spring, just the outer. the steel rod sticks an 1/8th inch beyond the slide and barrel. There is probably a simple answer, but I am not seeing it.
JA: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Is there anything else important you think the Gunsmith should know?
Customer: How to fix the binding? How to have a functional >380 after cleaning?
Category: Firearms Repair
Expert:  Tom replied 2 months ago.

Is the Wolff guide rod a full length or short rod? I have a Government 380 that had constant problems with the spring binding and jamming the gun. Once I converted it to use a full length rod the binding stopped.

The recoil spring should have one end that is tighter to the rod than the other end. The tightest end goes on first leaving the larger end free to compress and expand on the guide rod.

Tom