Tom
Tom, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 years as a gunsmith, certified Armorer
47830436

High would like to know why my 290 22lr wont't fire or hit

Customer Question

High would like to know why my 290 22lr wont't fire or hit the 22 shell off to one side?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: since i've had the rifle about a year ago just know wanting to fix thinking its the firing pin
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: possibly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thats it
Category: Firearms Repair
Expert:  Tom replied 8 months ago.

There are a couple of things that can prevent your rifle from firing. The first and biggest cause of failure to fire on a rimfire rifle is dirt. The 22 is the dirtiest cartridge there is, combine this with carbon, un-burned gunpowder and lubricant and it will cause mis-fires, failure to feed and failure to extract.

Next is a broken firing pin, it can be checked while the bolt is out of the gun for cleaning. It should protrude about 2/3 the width of the case rim. A weak hammer spring will also cause it to misfire.

There are instructions in the manual for bolt removal and cleaning. The following link is to the manual.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/winchester_290.pdf

If needed there are firing pins listed on E-BAY at the following link. The 190 and 290 use the same firing pin.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2141725.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XWinchester+Model+290+Firing+Pin.TRS0&_nkw=Winchester+Model+290+Firing+Pin&_sacat=0

Try a thorough cleaning first including dis-assembly of the bolt to clean every part inside and out. Whe reassembling use a dry lubricant like Moly-Lube. It does not attract dirt and dust like oil and grease.

There is one pin the holds the firing pin in the bolt, you will need a small diameter punch to remove it. If needed I can walk you through disassembly.

Tom