Tom
Tom, Gunsmith
Experience:  17 years as a gunsmith, certified Armorer
47830436

A vintage Browning A5 clone made by Western Field, The bolt

Customer Question

A vintage Browning A5 clone made by Western Field
JA: The Gunsmith will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Gunsmith can help you best.
Customer: The bolt will not close the entire way when the barrel and stock are completely assembled. The bolt moves easily once I remove the barrel, stock, spring and tension rings. But again, once I reassemble, the bolt has a gap of 3/8 to 7/16". Thank you for any advice!
JA: Is there anything else the Gunsmith should be aware of?
Customer: Gun was purchased with the bolt stuck closed, and I worked the action with Kroil, Breakfree and PB Blaster til I could release the barrel nut and remove the stock and barrel
JA: How can the Gunsmith help you with your firearm? Our top Gunsmith is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Gunsmith in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Gunsmith until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Firearms Repair
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the locking block on the bolt is not fitting into the opening of the barrel extension.

When the bolt is fully closed the locking block cams up to lock the bolt in the closed position. Make sure there are not any burrs on the block or the opening in the barrel. One may be out of square from being forced. If this is the case use a file to square the opening and block.

Let me know how you make out with it.

Tom