Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Thank you for your clear answer. I can not prove the cost…

Customer Question
Thank you Roger for your...
Thank you Roger for your clear answer. I can not prove the cost basis of my initial investment because it was such a long time ago. My investment in the company was a tract of land purchased by me personally in 1990. The company was formed in 1995. In Venezuela records are kept only 5 years because all debts legally expire after that time. Also, at that time, I was a Mexican citizen doing business in Venezuela with no fiscal relation to the USA. I hired a prestigious accounting firm which never advised me about the existence of forms 5471 so I only filled them out recently ( since 2011), after I was advised of a fine by the IRS. What can do?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Finance
Answered in 1 day by:
5/27/2018
Financial Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

You have no records, no bank statements, that would state what you paid for it? What about the title? Those documents are usually kept permanently.

If you cannot prove basis, under Internal Revenue Code §1021, your basis is zero. If you can prove what the land cost, your basis for the corporation would be, at a minimum, the cost basis of the land.

Do you have any more questions? I have not heard back from you.

Hello?