Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am in USA and having issues with my wife and are not

Customer Question
living together from last few...
I am in USA and having issues with my wife and are not living together from last few days.
As the tax date is comming closer i am worried.
my question is we husband and wife used to file together before.
but now she is angry on me and got me arrested i dont know if she will ever come back to me.
what should i do should i independently apply for my tax returns?
Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Finance
4/3/2018
Financial Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 20 days ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

...

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment.

I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply.

...

I'll post that in just a few moments. Then, let me know if you have further questions on this.

(By the way, please understand that if the site makes one of those automated call offers, that does not come from me. Be glad to discuss if you want, but disregard if you just want to chat on line as we are here)

If you were married on Dec 31st of 2017 you have two options:

...

(1) Married Filing jointly, and

...

(2) Married Filing Separately

...

And, so sorry, but unless you have her signature you can file a joint return (and NEITHER can she if she doesn't have yours).

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will credit me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

P.S. - If you can get her to give you permission to electronically file (Esignature) then you might want to point out to her that the standard deduction is much higher and the married filing jointly rates are much lower.

...

SO if you CAN agree on filing jointly, the net result will be better (less taxes/higher refund between the two of you)

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS