Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

IRS Publications are very hard to interpret. I am trying to…

IRS Publications are very hard...
IRS Publications are very hard to interpret. I am trying to figure out if I can use my mother-in-law's Medical and Dental Expenses as a deduction. She does not qualify as a Dependent as her Gross Income is over $4,050, and we have to file her taxes under Single. We do, however, provide over half of her support. Her income was $20,000 and her expenses were $45,000, so we provide over $25,000, which is over half. We have been paying over half for a few years, not sure if we missed out on that deduction. If we did, can we send a revised return. We don't want to put up any Red Flags for the IRS. Thank you for your help.
3/27/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If the only reason you cannot claim your mother-in-law as a dependent is because she earned over $4050 then you are allowed to claim her medical expenses you paid in 2017 as a deduction.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor
That is great, thank you again