Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I invested $45,000 in a restaurant in 2016. The restaurant…

Customer Question
I invested $45,000 in...

I invested $45,000 in a restaurant in 2016. The restaurant has done poorly and I sold my interest back to the main investor for $10,000 in 2017. I lost $35,000. Can I take this as an ordinary loss and take it all off my income for 2017, or does it have to be a capital loss subject to only $3,000 a year off my income, then carried over?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

No, that's all the necessary info.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Finance
3/27/2018
Financial Professional: PDtax, CPA, MBA replied 4 months ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA, MBA
I'mCustomer I can assist.
OK, can you provide an answer to my question?
This is a capital loss. It does not qualify for exceptions to the general rule for an investment unless you were in the business of making these investments, perhaps to other restaurants or businesses.
Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated, five stars is best. I'mCustomer