Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Last fall, we broke the lease in our apartment and incurred…

Last fall, we broke the...
Last fall, we broke the lease in our apartment and incurred moving expenses, to move into a rental house with my wife's parents so we could care for my father-in-law who had 4th stage bone cancer. He passed away last month. I'm wondering if any of these expenses can be deducted for our 2017 personal taxes.
3/25/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

Unfortunately, none of those expenses are deductible. Moving expenses are only deductible if they relate to a job and needs to be more than 50 miles away. They would also not qualify as medical expenses.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor