Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have a question related to depreciating a piece of

Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a question related to depreciating a piece of equipment my company buys?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

If I buy a piece of equipment for $100,000 but lease it out to my customer for $3,000.00 a month can I still depreciate the assest?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

Looking at leasing the piece of equipment to the customer for 3 to 4 years. Equipment comes from the US.

3/24/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out.

Yes. If you buy an asset and then lease it out, you can still claim depreciation.

Under the new tax bill, you can use 100% bonus depreciation on the asset, or use 100% IRC 179 on the asset, so you can take the deduction all in the first year.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor