Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

What happen if someone inform EIN number instead of SSN and…

what happen if someone inform...
what happen if someone inform EIN number instead of SSN and get a W2?
3/23/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Are you saying that the EIN was listed on the W2 instead of the SSN?

The issuer needs to prepare and issue a Corrected W2. The corrected W2 would be sent to the IRS and to the employee.

what happen if the person doesn't have SSN?

If they do not have an SSN then they most likely are not authorized to be an employee.

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor