Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have had hurricane damages and have a friend who is a

I have had hurricane...

I have had hurricane damages and have a friend who is a building contractor. He is helping me with the paper work needed to contract thru his company to do the work, but I will be doing the work. The check will be made to myself and his company. How does he pass it through his company to me so I assume the tax liability?

3/22/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

He can use the expenses for materials you show him. He cannot pay you for your time on the work on your own home.If you use any contractors for repairs he can then issue a 1099MISC to them for their work.

Why can’t he sub me for the work?

It is your home. There is a rule for business that you cannot deduct the value of your own time in self employment. Should he hire you and issue you a 1099MISC you would not be allowed to deduct anything other than materials and any contractor you used.

I am not trying to deduct anything? I would accept it as income and assume the tax liability for it.

Then he would need to issue you a 1099MISC

Ok ty for your help!

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor