Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I have been living with my boyfriend for 3 years. My 7-years…

Customer Question
Hi, I have been living with...
I have been living with my boyfriend for 3 years. My 7-years old son and his 16-years son live with us.
Each one of us was reporting taxes as household owner.We got married in Feb 2017 ,in June 2017 we bought a house that we live in,and Sep 2017 our new baby was born.
Unfortunately, recently from last of October-November 2017, we started to consider to separate. However, financially, we cant afford moving out from our house. In case we decide to separate, but continue living in the same house (on different floors), how do we report taxes?
In this situation we want to continue report each as household leaving in different floors on same house.
Can we report like this?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Finance
3/22/2018
Financial Professional: TaxRobin, Senior Advisor replied 3 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Now that you are married you can file joint or married filing separate but not head of household if you are both living in the same house. It does not matter that you live on separate floors you may not claim head of household if you are both resident in the same house for any portion of the last 6 months of the year.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

One more question please:
And if my partner from October last leaves in different house in different address .
Can we report taxes separately both as house hold's ?
We officially not divorced.

If you did not live together at all in the last 6 months of 2017 you can each claim Head of household.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.