Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I am 58 years old and I lost my job in 2017. I need to

Customer Question
I am 58 years...

I am 58 years old and I lost my job in 2017. I need to withdraw funds from my 401K. I have money in a Roth account and in a standard account. What is the best way to withdraw funds to minimize the tax penalty?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Finance
3/22/2018
Financial Professional: TaxRobin, Senior Advisor replied 6 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Senior Advisor

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Generally, the amounts an individual withdraws from an IRA or retirement plan before reaching age 59½ are called ”early” or ”premature” distributions. Individuals must pay an additional 10% early withdrawal tax unless an exception applies.

There is an exception to the penalty for the 401k. When an employee separates from service during or after the year the employee reaches age 55 (age 50 for public safety employees of a state, or political subdivision of a state, in a governmental defined benefit plan) you can use 72(t)(2)(A)(v) if you take periodic distributions. This means a specific amount each year would be distributed. Still taxable but you can avoid the 10% penalty.

The ROTH is tax free is you have had it for the 5 years but the earnings would be taxable. Your own contributions are not taxable.