Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

Need excel formula for 401k match of 50% up to 4% of

salary., so if contribution amount...
Need excel formula for 401k match of 50% up to 4% of salary., so if contribution amount changes, the total column of the match will not go above the 4% limit, Example if salary is 80,000 and contribution is 10% or $8000, the match total of $1600 will not go up if they change their contribution to 20% since it is already at the 4% cap. However if the cap has not been reached and they change the contribution % would like the match total to reflect the new total.
3/21/2018
Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you with this.

If we set up cells, A1: employee name, B1: employee contribution %, C1: Employee Salary, then in row 2, we have our first employee, the formula would be (C2*B2)*.5... that gives us the employee contribution and 50%.

So, then let's add an IF calculation to make it:

=if(C2*B2)*5<(C2*.04), (c2*b2)*.5, (C2 *.04). So, we're saying here, if 50% of the employee contribution is less than 4% of wages, then use 50% of employee contribution. If it's larger, then use 4% of salary.

Let me know if you need anything else. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!

Hi, Thank you for your response. However, the formula comes back with an error when I try with the =if...

Here you go. I fixed it for you. There was a space between C2 and *.04

Sorry but that does not seem that it is correct. I have attached the spreadsheet again where under tab sheet 2 I had my original formula where it takes the contribution amount and if I were to change the % contribution the match also changes but it exceeds the 4% cap of salary.
I am looking for the formula to change with the contribution amounts, however not to exceed the 4%

You'll have to do it on a payroll basis. So on your sheet 2, I added dolumn D, which is pay periods. In the one I attached, he does 2% the first 5 pay periods and 10% the next 12.

If you go to column K, it calculates what the match should be during this pay period. You'll have to add a new row each time someone changes their contribution percentage. Column N is possible match they could have had to date. the total is the Total Actual Match to date.

See if that works for you. I just don't see a way to track it without separating out tiers of when they change contributions.

Quick update.

Carter McBride
Carter McBride, Financial Advisor
Hi Carter, the spreadsheet you attached did not have the breakdown as stated. However, I was finally able to create a formula that is what I was looking for. Using the IF plus the MIN functions.
Thank you for your help.