Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I would like to loan money to my daughter for her 1st home…

Customer Question
Hi, I would like...

Hi, I would like to loan money to my daughter for her 1st home purchase down payment. I am taking a line of credit from my home and helping my daughter for down payment. May I know the legal way and are there any tax implication, It is only loan and my daugher will repay ove the 2 to 3 years period

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My daughter already finalized a home to buy. I need to transfer the money asap.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Finance
3/19/2018
Financial Professional: Lev, Tax Preparer replied 3 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Preparer

I may suggest to write a formal promissory note with attached repayment plans.

As long as that is a bona fide loan - and there are realistic expectation from both parties that such loan will be repaid - that will not be taxable for your daughter and will not be deductible for you.

Her bank will likely ask to provide that note as a proof of funds and as a source of the money.

You may use any template

Here is just an example

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/promissory-note-form

Let me know if any clarification needed.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.