Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I received 3 financial gifts over the last year from my

Mother. Three checks, one for...
I received 3 financial gifts over the last year from my Mother. Three checks, one for 4,000, one for 8,000, and one last one for 14,000. I have not deposited the one for 14,000 yet. I was not sure what rules or guidelines I should worry about. The checks for spread out over 14 months or so. Should I just want walk into my Bank of America and deposit the 14,000 check? I am just looking for advice on the situation and to avoid any headaches. The money was to help with credit card debt. Thank you.
3/19/2018
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Gifts are not taxable to the recipient (receiver) in the U.S.

The donor (your mother) has a REPORTING requirement because the total of the gifts exceeded the annual exclusion amount of $15,000. She will report the gifts on Form 709, but will not owe any tax unless she has exceeded her lifetime gift cap of $11 million+

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-709-united-states-gift-and-generation-skipping-transfer-tax-return

Feel free to deposit the $14,000 check.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I am not sure my mother knew to do that. Should she notify her accountant? She already filed taxes for 2017. So it sounds like, beyond that, I do not have to do anything on my end? Will my bank be suspiscious?
I actually just realized. The first 2 checks were in 2017, for a total amount of about 11,000. ( 7k and 4k), and this third check for 14,000 I just recieved, and it is in 2018. Does that mean that she did not exceed the 15,000 gift amount for neither year, and she is okay?

That's right.

I was under the impression all gifts were given in the same year.

Your bank will not be suspicious about the deposit.

Lastly, i did read that there are laws about splitting up large gifts into smaller chunks, and it can get you in big trouble. Do I have do be worried about breaking this law, or my mom breaking it?

Not in this instance.

bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast
When would someone worry about breaking that law, of breaking large deposits into smaller amounts?

Usually it's a method used by money launderers.

As I mentioned, I don't believe you should worry about the gift from your mother.