Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I live in California and am considering renting or

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I...

Hi Pearl, I live in California and am considering renting or exchanging a room in my home in exchange for house sitting, dog sitting and very minor help around the house. We travel a lot and sometimes are gone for months. I am trying to verify what the IRS or State of CA implications are for this type of rental vs. work exchange.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Finance
3/19/2018
Financial Professional: socrateaser, Attorney replied 4 months ago
socrateaser, Attorney

I am a member of the State Bar of California, the U.S. Tax Court and I am a licensed real estate broker.

Federal tax law would treat the value of the services from the tenant as fair market value rent, and you would be expected to report that fair market value as taxable rental income.

There is, however, a collateral issue: under California law, your tenant could be deemed your employee, and if the tenant were to complain to the California Employment Development Department (EDD), you could find yourself being held liable for failure to remit payroll taxes (withholding, FICA, Medicare, unemployment, SDI, etc.), and for failing to follow the requirements of the California Labor Code, by failing to pay at least minimum wage to the "tenant."

The point here is that you need to have a written lease agreement that clearly describes the terms of the rental, and you probably should pay the tenant as an employee. If you do not do both, you could find yourself with the most expensive problem you could possibly imagine.

I'm not trying to scare you off from your idea -- but, I have had numerous clients who believed that they were doing a "good deed" for someone who needed a place to live, only to find out later, when the relationship soured, that the former tenant/worker hires a lawyer and sues for $25,000 or more in unpaid wages. So, please be careful, if you choose to try to barter work in exchange for a room.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

That is exactly what I rhought, but wanted to verify. So, I should have them keep a log if any work done, and pay a separate payroll CK, and have them pay rent. Correct?
min wage is $11.00 in California? Placer county? And, that meets Fed guidelines also? Can you pay any less, like the old days, if meals and room are included?

IWC Order No. 15, Section 10, provides the reduction in wages permitted for a live-in household worker. The Order provides substantially all of the requirements of employment, albeit, not in a particularly user-friendly form.

Here is a link to the current minimum wage notice.

Hope this helps. Thanks for using Justanswer!

Notes; It's the employer's obligation to track hours. You can have the employee sign a log of hours worked, but if the employee is lax in tracking their activities, then your only recourse is termination.

Also, you may need to obtain workers' comp insurance. Talk to your insurance agent.

Thanks for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!