Finance

Have finance questions? Ask a financial expert online.

I will be retiring next month. I have a company pension

plan. I do not contribute...
I will be retiring next month. I have a company pension plan. I do not contribute to this plan. It is completely funded by the company and the monies are held independently of the company. Under this plan, I will receive a pension of $1700 per month for life. However, the plan managers are offering to buy me out of the pension. They are offering a lump sum alternative to the monthly payment. My question is - is this lump sum taxable? And can I avoid the tax by rolling it into a 401(k) plan?
3/17/2018
bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The lump sum payment/distribution is taxable in the year received.

You can roll over the lump sum into a 401K or traditional IRA. You can do this by direct rollover or have the money paid to you. You then have 60 days to redeposit the money in a retirement plan account or IRA. In this case, your employer will usually withhold 20% of the distribution for income tax, which means you will have to come up with the 20% from other funds within the 60-day period to complete the rollover in full.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thanks. If I roll over the lump sum into a 401k does that mean the tax on the lump sum will be deferred until I withdraw it (slowly) from the 401(k)?

That's right.

bkb1956
bkb1956, Finance Enthusiast

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

I received notification of your very generous bonus. Thank you!